There has been a Water Mill on the weir at Wetherby since before 1221 where corn and rape were ground. Later it was a Saw Mill until it burnt down in 1944. The Salmon Steps opposite were built in 1871 at a cost of £30.
The Weir on the river Wharf at Wetherby powered a Corn Mill, Woodyard, and Sawmill until 1935. The large cog wheel was found during excavations for the Old Mill Apartments, restored and mounted as a reminder of past activities on the site. The delightful salmon sculpture was created by local artist Michael Liesener in 2000, it was the winner of a local competition to celebrate the new millennium.